What age can I receive benefits?

Early Retirement Age is 55 years through age 64 Normal Retirement Age is 65 years

What documents do I need to apply for retirement?

The following documents are required to apply for retirement:

  • Participant’s proof of age (Birth Certificate or Passport or Naturalization Papers)
  • Photocopy of participant’s ID
  • If Married: Participant’s spouse proof of age (Birth Certificate or Passport or Naturalizations Papers), photocopy of spouse ID, Marriage Certificate
  • If Widowed: Spouse’s Death Certificate
  • If Divorced: Divorce Decree

How long is the Application process?

The application process takes up to 60 days to approve your application from the date application is complete. Application is considered complete when all required documents have been received.

What is the amount of my pension benefit?

Please request a copy of your pension statement from the Fund Office.

Can I receive benefits if I am disabled?

The Fund does have a disability retirement benefit. Please submit a copy of your Social Security Administration entitlement letter to the Fund Office/Pension Department to determine eligibility.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?

Submit a completed Direct Deposit Form to the Fund Office/Pension Department (click here to access Direct Deposit Form)

How do I change my direct deposit information?

Submit a revised Direct Deposit Form to the Fund Office/Pension Department as soon as possible to avoid a delay of your benefit payment (click here to access Direct Deposit Form)

How do I change my address?

Submit a completed Change of Address form or written request to the Fund Office/Pension Department

(click here to access Change of Address Form)

When are retirement benefits paid?

Direct deposit benefit payments will be credited to your account on the first business day of the month.

Paper checks are mailed 1 to 2 days prior to the first of the month.
If you have not received your check by the 15th of the month, please contact the Fund Office/Pension Department to request it be reissued.

My benefits were suspended, and I submitted my notarized statement. When will my benefits commence?

Please allow up to 60 days for you benefits to be reinstated.

Who do I contact with questions regarding my pension?

If you have any questions, contact the Fund Office at (312) 233-8877 or click here to send an email message.


How can I change my dental office?

We can mail you a selection form or you may call Blue Care Dental at 1-866-431-1594 and follow the prompts to change it by phone. Have your member ID # (beginning with 825) available before calling.  Click here to access form.

How can I add my child/spouse as a dependent who would be eligible for benefits?

You can mail or email a copy of the birth certificate for child dependents and copy of marriage certificate to add spouse along with a letter stating who you would like to add. The letter must include the member’s full name, ID# or last four of the Social Security Number.

Email:    or

Mailing Address:   SEIU Local 1 & Participating Employers Health Trust
Attn:   Member Services
111 E. Wacker Drive,  17th Floor
Chicago, IL 60601

Is this insurance plan a PPO or HMO?

This Plan is an HMO plan managed by Union Health Services (UHS).  All services must be provided or referred by a Union Health Services physician.

Why does the BCBS insurance card have PPO on it?

The PPO logo that appears on your BCBS ID card is required by BlueCross BlueShield (who issues the card). This card is to be used in emergency situations only. If you have any questions about your benefits or when the use of this card is appropriate, please call the Fund Office at (312) 233-8888 to have your questions answered.

How do I change my beneficiary designation for the death benefit?

The death benefit is only payable to your beneficiary if you are actively employed at the time of your death (does not apply to retirees).  You may change your beneficiary designation by completing a Death Benefit Beneficiary Form and returning it to the Fund Office.  Click here to access form.


I filled out the claim form and returned it to the Fund Office, but you keep sending it back to me. Why?

A completed claim form is required each year. To prevent any delays in processing your claims, it is important to answer all questions in each section completely. It is important to give us complete information regarding your spouse and if you or your dependents are covered under another insurance plan. Please be sure the annual claim form is signed and dated.

I just received an accident form, but I did not have an accident. Do I have to complete this form?

Yes. The bill we received for you or your dependent has a diagnosis that indicates that the office/hospital visit may be due to an injury or accident. Please answer each question and indicate that this was not due to any specific accident or injury.

I just received an accident form, but I did not get hurt on the job. Do I have to complete this form?

Yes. If you did not get hurt on the job, please indicate when, where and how your injury or accident occurred. If a third party other than your employer is involved, please give the third-party information that is requested.

I go to physical therapy (PT) on a regular basis. I filled out an accident form last year but I just received another accident form again, but nothing has changed. Do I have to complete this form?

Yes. This information must be verified annually to make sure an injury or accident did not occur since you filled out the form last year.